S. Korea formally accepts WTO deal on fisheries subsidies
时间:2023-12-02 04:07:52 出处:교육阅读（143）
South Korea's industry ministry said Tuesday the government has formally accepted an agreement by the World Trade Organization aimed at banning subsidies for illegal fishing.
The agreement centers on prohibiting subsidies that contribute to overfishing and other illegal, unregulated fishing so as to ensure the sustainability of fish stocks and the industry.
Following South Korea's approval, the total number of WTO members that have formally endorsed the rule reached 51, taking up 46 percent of the necessary support for the agreement to take effect, according to the Geneva-based organization.
"Once implemented, the multilateral rule will curb harmful subsidies that may lead to the depletion of global fisheries resources and contribute to the sustainable use of maritime resources," the Ministry of Trade, Industry and Energy said in a statement.
"It will especially help to address the issue of illegal and overfishing by foreign vessels in our nearby waters," it added. (Yonhap)
- Korean Air orders 20 Airbus A321neo aircraft
- Pentagon chief stresses US ability to tackle 'crises in multiple theaters'
- 강서구청장 12시 투표율 11.4%…직전 지선보다 2.9%p 낮아
- Israleli strikes flatten entire neighborhoods as Gaza faces imminent blackout
- Court clears cabbie in death of passenger who jumped out of moving taxi
- [HIT Forum]Space forum sees opportunities beyond our 'pale blue dot'
- [Today’s K
- Samsung SDI, Stellantis to set up 2nd JV plant in Indiana
- Trilateral cooperation unaffected by US election outcomes: Goldberg